Wednesday, August 30, 2017

I May Have A Scrap Problem... Another Block, and Inspiration!

Hi, all!

As you may have already read, I'm on vacation this week!  But I made some blocks for my Gypsy Wife quilt ahead so I'd have them to share, plus I've seen some beautiful stuff online to inspire you! 

So here's this week's Gypsy Wife block...


This one's called "Hope From Hartford".  I am really loving the way these blocks look in Kate Spain's Latitude batiks!  Next week I'll show you a picture of all my blocks together.

And now for some inspiration!  Last week I saw a really cute pincushion on Instagram and immediately dropped everything to make one.  Mine didn't come out quite right (probably because I didn't want to buy the pattern!) but I really like how this one turned out.


This tiny pincushion is made of four 2.5" squares and is the perfect size to sit on the bed of my sewing machine and contain the pins I use for piecing!  Stuffed with crushed walnut shells, it stays where I put it, too.


I also saw this cute pincushion made with orphan blocks.  Isn't that a great use for them?


Always on the lookout for good blocks for ministry quilts, this one caught my eye.  This would be a great scrap block and would make an amazing quilt!!


And how about this scrappy quilt?  I love the piecing, but even more amazing is the quilting!!



I love making rope bowls, and these particular ones, with the rope wrapped in bright scraps, are really calling my name!  

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

That's it for this week!  I'll be hitting a couple of great fabric stores on my vacation, with the intention of restocking some basics, like Essex Linen.  I've used almost all I have on hand, and it's so perfect for scrap quilts!  Somehow it makes my "free" scraps look like they're worth so much more...

What scrappy things are you working on these days?

Hugs!

Sarah

11 comments:

  1. I am making tiny quilts from scraps. I'm paper piecing small blocks and finishing them into 5" quilts. Lots of fun, and a way to use tiny scraps, but it's not going to make much of a dent in the scrap boxes! See a photo here
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/quilts_by_lisa/36517061530

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing pictures on IG of one of those shops you stopped at, and I'm a bit envious. Enjoy your vacation -- I may have to make a pincushion or two now. Maybe a rope bowl (bucket list thing). I have a few quilts to finish, first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also on vacation and doing some hand piecing with fabric scraps and batting while traveling. I'm really loving the block you made with the Kate Spain Latitude fabric--I'm going to have to check it out to see if there is any to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your Hope from Hartford, the background is lovely. I've never made a rope bowl but I really like the look of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much good inspiration. I'm loving all the pinnies I'm seeing lately. The guitar quilt is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Susan's guitar!! Some great ideas for using scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having been totally entranced here with the "Christmas Trips" quilt in July, I've been working on a Bonnie Hunter pattern using blocks instead of big panels. It's a free pattern on her site. It also calls for 2 1/2" strips. FUN!
    Debbie
    ollieami@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pondering my next scrap quilt after being inspired by a photo online. It's 60 degree triangles made from scrap strips, but the layout is what caught my eye! Of course, now I can't find the photo, drat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, I'm so flattered that you mentioned my scrappy "String Theory" for inspiration! It was a piecing adventure for sure, and contained scraps and memories from many years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on vacation, too, visiting my son in Seattle. This is the first time in years that it's just been the two of us, and I am loving it. You inspired me to get some blog entries ready before I left home, but I just didn't get that far!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the gypsy wife block . I really like the guitar quilt and the quilting. I love the rope bowels and one day I'd like to make one

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!